Sunday, April 10, 2011

Regrets (4/6)



Chapter 3
September 2012
(Bobby POV)




I watched Dean walk over to Sam and William. He stood there for a minute before picking up some darts and challenging William to a game. I grinned at the kid’s reaction. He moved away from Sam, dragged over a chair and stood on it.

Dean smirked and I chuckled. I shook my head and turned back around when Ellen slid into the booth across from me. She was watching Dean and William interact with a sad smile on her face. I cleared my throat to get her attention.

“Does he know?”

She raised an eyebrow.

“Does William know Dean is his father?”

A look of comprehension came over her face and she nodded.

“He knows. Jo never lied to their son.”

I grunted.

“How could you not tell me Ellen? I been around that boy for years…how could you not tell me he was Dean’s son?”

She sighed.

“Bobby…if we told you…I know how close you are with those boys…they’re like your family. You wouldn’t have been able to keep it from him, and Jo had made the decision not to tell him until the time was right. She’s my daughter Bobby…I had to respect that. We couldn't expect you to lie too.”

This time I sighed as I shook my head.

“What was Jo thinkin? Keepin this from him…I just don’t understand.”

“She was thinking of her son...and Dean. Jo would never admit it, but I knew she loved him. At the time with hell breaking loose…Dean making that deal…and then the whole Lucifer debacle…she just never found the right time to tell him…”

I watched her lean back and I could see her eyes were bloodshot and tired.

“She didn’t want to put William in danger by telling Dean, because she knew Dean would come back if she told him. She was sure of it.”

I nodded.

“He would have.”

“For the past few years demons and angels alike have been gunning for Dean and she didn’t want to put William in the middle. God forbid they find out there’s another Winchester…and Deans son no less. I think it might have been her biggest fear.”

I nodded. It’s a valid fear. Dean and Sam single handedly did a number on the Demons rallying with Lucifer…it was hard but we found a way to send him back where he came from. I think both Sam and Dean reevaluated their lives after that experience.

It was hard, but things have been normal since then…well normal as in back to regular demons and evil things…no angels…hell breaking loose or apocalypse. Just your normal everyday evil. I looked back at Ellen and she was watching Dean and William again.

I broke the silence when I spoke and Ellen turned back to me.

“Do you know what Jo was running from Ellen?”

She looked down at her hands then back up at me and shook her head.

“No, she didn’t tell me. Only said she needed to leave and to make sure William was okay. Said she’d come back as soon as she thought it was safe again…it just don’t make no sense Bobby…Jo wasn’t the type to just run away…”

I thought about it for a minute before talking.

“Unless maybe she wasn’t running away for her.”

I glanced at William then back at Ellen.

“Maybe she wasn’t afraid something was coming after her…maybe she was afraid something was going after him, and she was trying to lead it away.”

The look on Ellen’s face changed. I could tell her mind was working on something. She leaned in and spoke in a low voice.

“Bobby…I think you’re right. I didn’t think of it until just now because things have been…hectic. The night she left she gave me a blessed St. Benedict pendant. She told me to make William wear it and not to let him take it off until she got back.”

She paused and inhaled deeply. Jo never made it back though…I didn’t want to push, but that’s the same pendant I gave to Sam when he and Dean were fighting demons that kept possessing them. Was Jo worried about someone possessing William?

“Ellen…did anything weird happen before Jo left? Anything you noticed?”

She shook her head.

“I’m not sure. She might have been acting a little weird for a day or so before she left.”

“Weird how?”

“She seemed more on edge than usual, but then again Jo was always alert. She left now and again for a few minor jobs close to home, but nothing big that would keep her away from William for more than a night. This time was different though…she wasn’t leaving for a job. She was running Bobby…I barely had time to ask why before she took off.”

Her voice faded and I could see tears pooling in her eyes. I reached a hand out and squeezed her arm lightly. She excused herself a minute later and I watched as she walked to the back of the Roadhouse and disappeared from sight.

I sighed, leaned back again and turned my eyes back to Sam, Dean and William. Something wasn’t right about this…It just don’t make no sense…I get why Jo would keep William from Dean all these years. That makes perfect sense. It wasn’t safe, and in our world safety is the first priority.

But after all the mayhem was over…why didn’t she tell Dean…and what had her so scared that she’d call Dean out of the blue and ask him to meet her…I frowned. I’m the one who found Jo…when she didn’t check in Ellen got worried. So I tracked her steps and wound up in Kansas.

I shook my head. How could I not have realized the connection there…why would Jo want to meet Dean in Kansas…something brought her there and obviously it wasn’t anything good…that’s where it all started for the Winchesters…but that books been closed for some time.

Ever since Dean killed the yellow-eyed demon that scores been settled. We found out why he did what he did and what happened to Sammy…so why would she go back there…

(William POV)

I laughed as I finished throwing my last dart and Sam put me down. He ruffled my hair and smiled.

“You’re pretty good kid.”

I grinned and shrugged.

“My mom taught me how to play.”

Sam opened his mouth to say something when Dean…my dad came over and stood on the other side of me. I glanced over at him and he gave me half a smile. My mom always said I had my dads smile…I guess I could see that. His voice broke me out of my thoughts.

“I bet you can’t beat me…”

I made a face and crossed my arms across my chest.

“Betcha I can…”

Dean grinned and raised an eyebrow.

“You’re on.”

I moved over to one of the tables, grabbed a chair and pulled it over to where Dean was standing. I climbed on top of it and stood there. Dean watched me with an odd look on his face. I scrunched up my nose.

“What?”

He shook his head.

“Nothing. You ready?”

I nodded and we started the game. He let me go first. I threw my dart and it landed right in the middle of the board. I turned my head to the side and smirked at him before throwing the rest of my darts. I got down from standing on the chair and sat on it.

He smiled went to the board took out my darts and came back next to me. He threw his darts and the first one hit the middle. I scrunched my nose and rolled my eyes. He laughed slightly before throwing the rest. When he was finished he went and pulled them out.

He turned to face me and I was sitting with my arms folded across my chest. I sighed.

“It’s a tie.”

He nodded.

I got up and put the chair back before coming to stand next to him again. It was quiet for a few minutes before he spoke. His voice was low and it came out sort of unsure.

“I’m sorry…”

I frowned.

“For what?”

He shrugged.

“I’m sorry about your mom.”

“Why? Did you kill her?”

I watched his head whip up to face me with a startled look on his face. I know mom was scared when she left…I heard her talking to grandma that night…something was after her…a demon or something…His mouth opened and closed a few times before anything came out.

“Of course not, why would you say that?”

I shrugged.

“You’re apologizing. When people apologize it’s because they think something is their fault…or because they did something wrong. That’s what mom always said. I know it’s not your fault though…something killed my mom…my grandma thinks I don’t know…but I do.”

I saw him swallow hard as he kneeled down so he was at my eye level. His voice was soft and yet at the same time hard.

“William…what did your mom tell you about me? Did she…mention me at all?”

I nodded.

“She told me…she said you’re a hunter, one of the best. Said that you and your brother go around the world and save people…she called you a hero.”

I saw his eyes get red and water pool in them. Uh oh…I didn’t mean to upset him…I looked down and spoke quietly.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to upset you.”

He took his hand and pinched the top of his nose before shaking his head. I could hear something in his voice that I couldn’t figure out.

“It’s fine. Did she…say anything else?”

His eyes met mine and I nodded again.

“She said you’re my dad.”

He was still on one knee and he titled his head slightly before speaking.

“It looks that way.”

“Yup.”

“I’m sorry…I haven’t been around.”

I shrugged and kicked at an invisible rock on the ground.

“It’s kinda hard for someone to be around when they don’t know about you.”

He seemed surprised again, but nodded.

“I didn’t…if I had…I swear I would have come back.”

I gave him a half smile when I looked back up.

“Mom thought so too. That’s why she didn’t tell you. She said it was too dangerous for you to come back then. She didn’t want me to get hurt and she didn’t want you to loose something…umm focus…yeah that’s it. She didn’t want you to loose focus. She said you could get hurt like that.”

He still looked upset and he didn’t talk for a while. I wasn’t really sure what to do. I was about to say something when he spoke again.

“Did your mom tell you about everything? Her job and…everything…”

“I think so. She said that…there are things that are evil in the world, things that want to destroy humanity and there are people who fight them. She said she was one of them and so were you. That both my grandpa’s, Uncle Bobby and Uncle Sam are ones too.”

He nodded. A slight chuckle left his mouth and I gave him a questioning look.

“Sorry…I just, I can’t believe Jo told you everything. You’re five…Sammy, my brother…your…uncle…he didn’t even know everything until he was at least seven or eight. Then again I shouldn’t have expected anything less from Jo.”

“My mom and I didn’t keep secrets from each other. She always used to say secrets brake up families and she wouldn’t let that happen to us.”

I saw the water return to his eyes and his voice faltered slightly when he spoke.

“Your mom always was pretty smart.”

I nodded. He cleared his throat and stood up. He glanced around the room before looking back at me.

“You thirsty…or hungry?”

I shrugged. I didn’t really feel like eating.

“I could go for a drink I guess.”

“Why don’t you find us a booth and I’ll grab you a drink.”

“Okay.”

He moved over to the bar and I went and sat in mom’s favorite booth. I watched him talking to the guy at the bar and I could see tension in him when he leaned against it. I’ve always wanted to meet my dad…but not this way…not with mom gone…she said one day when things were safe we’d be a family…but now…now I’d never have a family…

Chapter 4

No comments:

Post a Comment