Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Redemption (8/11)


Banner By: Mara

Chapter Seven

February
Carthage, Missouri
Chapter 8




Dean woke with a start, his body propelling into a sitting position as he breathed heavy attempting to catch his breath. With his hand against his chest, he glanced around the room in confusion. What was going on?

He shifted a frown marring his face as the memories of the last twenty four hours rushed through him. He stood eyes wild as he searched for any sign of Jo or Castiel. His throat was dry and he swallowed hard before calling out. “CAS! DAMN IT CAS!”

“He can’t hear you.”

The soft voice brought him out of his thoughts and he spun around mouth gaping open at the last person he expected to see in front of him. His voice quavered as he spoke. “Mom…”

She took a step closer to him and smiled. “Hello Dean.”

He took another cursory glance around the house and rubbed a hand over his face as he swore. “Jesus I’m dead. I mean yeah I knew I was dying, but…its official now…I guess this time it took huh?”

There was a smirk on his face, but she saw right through it. He was scared and fearful for the people he’d left behind. His family and the smile left her face as she approached him. “No sweetheart, you’re not dead.”

Dean’s brows furrowed. “But I thought…”

She cut him off and nodded. “You did, but you’re journey on this plane isn’t complete yet.”

He groaned. “Wonderful another mission from the Angels. No, whatever it is I’m not doing it.”

He crossed his arms over his chest and pouted like a petulant child. Mary chuckled and Dean glared at her. “You think this is funny?”

“I think that’s the same expression you used to get when I told you not to play in your father’s car when he wasn’t around to supervise.”

He swallowed hard and dropped his hands to his side, mouth turning up at the corner slightly. “Well I really liked his car.”

“Mmm yes I can see.” Her light expression changed and he could see seriousness take over her face. “Listen Dean…there are things you need to know.”

He sighed and turned away from her. “Spare me the details of why the Angel’s brought me back. I don’t care. I have places to go.”

He moved toward the door but before he could reach out and open it Mary was standing there blocking his path. He raised an eyebrow and spoke slowly.

“I brought you back. You really think I’d steer my own son wrong? The Angels…they have their own agenda. I can’t be sure but I think Anna is trying to work against them, but pretending to work with them. It’s hard for me to get a read on her.”

Dean snorted and shook his head. “She’s been pulling the strings ever since she came back hasn’t she? Where is she now?”

“I’m not sure, but there’s something I need to tell you before it’s too late.”

Confusion crossed Dean’s face. What else could possibly be going on? He’d died yet again, they were in the middle of yet another war, his brother was the one who had killed him and Azazel was after his son. How much worse could things really get?

Anna appeared in the kitchen and rounded the corner, but stopped when she saw Mary talking to Dean in hushed tones. She watched as the elder Winchesters face paled. His body was tense as he listened intently. She couldn’t hear what they were saying, but it didn’t take a genius to figure it out. He knew.

She sighed and shook her head. She needed to talk to Jo before Mary told Dean how to find his way back or everything they had worked for would be in vein.



______


Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Castiel stood in Bobby’s kitchen jaw clenched, body tense, and hands gripping the counter top as he stared out the window. He felt more than saw Anna appear next to him. He took a deep breath and turned to face her eyebrow raised. She caught sight of the expression on his face and she swallowed hard before speaking. “I called to you.”

“I heard.”

“Why didn’t you answer me?” His glare intensified as he took a step toward her and slowly moved around her as he spoke. Anna’s eye’s followed his circular movements as she crossed her arms over her chest. “Chuck called here.”

Anna’s jaw tightened and her eyes flashed briefly and then there was no expression on her face. She held her head high and spoke in a clipped tone. “You’re point?”

He stopped in front of her and the anger left his face. She could see the sadness in his eyes as he gazed at her. “When did it become so easy?”

Her eyes squinted as confusion crossed her face. “When did what become so easy?”

“Lying Anna. When did it become so easy for you to do? Because if I remember correctly when you and I first met, to you lying was an abomination. I respected you, your dedication, your unwavering faith, everything. Even after you fell I still believed in you. How can the person I’m looking at right now be the same person I held so close to my heart back then?”

His words cut her deeper than they should have, but what did she expect? She had lied, but only to protect him. Everything she had been and will be doing was for the world. She didn’t have the luxury of playing favorites, of trying to save individual people. It wasn’t just about them, it was bigger than that.

“I know you’re angry Cas, but I can’t keep apologizing. There are some things you just don’t need to know. I asked you to trust me and you said you did.”

He nodded and pointed an angry finger at her. “Yes I did, until Chuck called here. You seem to forget Anna that there is a prophet working with us. He’s seen the end of this war and the casualties far outweigh what good could come from it. You cannot mean to let Azazel take possession of his vessel. Please tell me Chuck is mistaken. That he has seen the wrong future.”

She tilted her head to the side and he could tell by her glistening eyes that everything Chuck had said was true. He shook his head and she reached out for him. He jerked his body away as hurt and anger clouded his face.

“No, do not touch me. I won’t help you any longer. I was waiting for you, I wanted to give you a chance to explain and now that I know the truth I need to tell the others. We have a battle to prepare for.”

He went to step around her, but she blocked his path. “I can’t let you do that Castiel…you know that.”

He tensed as their eyes met. “Is that a threat?”

“It is what it is. I can’t let you interfere and if you won’t help me then…you’re in the way.”

He couldn’t believe what she was saying. He glanced around the room, but he knew there was nowhere to run. The minute he opened his mouth to call out to Bobby she was by his side placing a hand on his head. His eyes widened and she watched the glow form around his body as she whispered to him. “I’m so sorry Cas.”

The glow enveloped his body and he disappeared. Anna closed her eyes for a moment to gather her emotions and balance herself out. Physically Castiel would be fine. Possibly disoriented for a little while and it would take him some time to get back, but no permanent damage done, unless you count her betrayal.

She sighed. This was getting increasingly difficult. She had one more thing to do before she left. This had to work, she’d sacrificed too much for it not too. This was their last chance to end this war, and Anna wouldn’t stop until she was sure they’d won.



______


Lilith had left hours ago and Azazel was getting impatient waiting for Meg to come back with word on the book of Enoch. He stopped moving and rubbed his head. He could hear Sam’s thoughts and emotions polluting his mind.

Guilt for his brother, worry for Ruby and a slew of other incredibly human emotions. It truly sickened him. Right as he sat down the motel room door opened. He glanced up and Meg smiled.

“They have it in the mechanics house. It doesn’t seem to be guarded.”

He nodded.

“How many people are there?”

“Including the child…five.”

“Angels?”

“I didn’t sense any, but that doesn’t mean that they aren’t on standby.”

Azazel stood and raised an eyebrow. “What kind of artillery are we dealing with?”

Meg shifted and leaned against the dresser as she spoke. “The usual. Devil traps and what not, but that won’t be able to hold you. I heard there’s a panic room though, where not even Angel’s can go. If they make it into there we might have a problem.”

He nodded and smiled. “Well then my dear what are we waiting for? Let’s go get us a vessel.”

She smirked before pushing herself away from the dresser and following him to the motel room door. As he grasped the handle something inside him stirred. He focused on opening his mind to Sam showing him the thoughts flowing in his mind.

It was finally time to put his plan into action. No more waiting, no more killing. He’d waited long enough. Tonight he’d get his grace back, steal the book of Enoch and bring forth hell on earth. Tonight the real war would begin.

Chapter Nine

No comments:

Post a Comment