Saturday, April 9, 2011

When Luck Runs Out (2/11)



Chapter 2

San Francisco, California
The Morgue
(13 Weeks)




Dean shook his head as they made their way into the morgue and down the hallway. Dean’s jaw was clenched when he spoke.

“I can’t believe you let her drive my baby Sammy…what the hell was going through your head?”

Sam rolled his eyes.

“Oh I don’t know Dean, maybe the fact that I was exhausted and I knew you’d kill me if I hurt the Impala so, I did the smart thing and let Jo drive. You need to stop freaking out. It’s not that big a deal.”

Dean stopped in his tracks and faced Sam. The look on his face was one of disbelief.

“Wait a minute…I’m sorry…did you just say it’s not that big a deal? Sammy it’s the Impala…my baby…of course it’s a big deal…”

Sam sighed, stopped and turned to face Dean.

“Listen can we just focus on the job please? Jo’s back at the motel researching and we have a dead body to look at.”

Dean made a face, but nodded. He followed Sam through the stainless steel doors and waited for an employee. When one came through she gave Sam and Dean a strange look. She walked over and frowned.

“Can I help you gentlemen?”

“Yes, I’m Detective McQueen and this is Detective Lacey. We’re here about the body that was found at the office building.”

The morgue employee nodded and she brought the guys over to a stainless steel compartment before sliding out the body. She glanced over at Sam and Dean

“Here he is, Detective.”

Sam looked at the scratches running along the man’s chest, stomach, shoulders, and throat. Dean leaned in slightly closer looking for clues. Dean was pretty sure this looked like a werewolf case. Glad that Jo had stayed behind on this one, Dean moved back from the rotting body and cleared his throat.

“That’s a pretty nasty bite.”

The woman nodded.

“Mm-hmm.”

Sam spoke in a curious voice.

“You know what bit him?”

She averted her eyes before covering the body back up. There was something in her tone of voice that made Sam question her.

“I haven’t quite determined that just yet.”

“Come on, Doc. Off the record.”

She eyed Sam and Dean carefully looking between them before she let out a sigh of relief.

“Okay, way, way off the record.”

They nodded and Dean spoke.

“Sure.”

“If I didn’t know better, I’d say the guy was attacked by a wolf. But unless I know that the zoo is missing one of their lobos, I’m going with pit bull.”

She glanced at them giving them both a stern look before speaking again.

“I like my job.”

Sam chuckled lightly as he nodded. Dean looked between the morgue attendant and Sam before clearing his throat again and speaking.

“Yeah, I hear you. One more thing, this guy…was his heart missing?”

She looked startled as she made eye contact with Dean.

“Yeah, how did you know that? I haven’t even finished my report.”

He shrugged.

“Lucky guess.”

They thanked the woman and made their way back toward the motel where Jo was waiting. Dean parked the Impala and they got out.

“I’m still mad at you Sammy.”

Sam rolled his eyes.

“When aren’t you mad at me Dean?”

“Again…you let her drive the Impala…”

“Yeah well, you were gonna have to let her drive sometime. Does it really matter?”

Dean nodded as he slipped the key card in the door and pushed it open as Sam continued speaking.

“Yea, it really matters.”

“It’s not like I let some random bar slut drive your car…its Jo.”

“I don’t…”

Dean’s voice trailed off and he stopped moving, which made Sam bump into him. Sam frowned and was about to say something when he looked up and stopped. The room looked like a hurricane hit it and there was Jo in the middle of the mess polishing her rifle as tears ran down her cheeks.

It took Dean a minute before he jogged into the room and headed towards Jo. He stood there and Sam motioned for him to say something. Dean scratched the back of his neck before squatting down by Jo.

“Jo…what happened?”

She glanced up at him wet cheeks, tears brimming in her eyes and glared. She put her gun down, pushed herself up and Dean followed suit. Her glare deepened and she pushed a finger into his chest as she yelled motioning around the room.

“This is ALL your fault Winchester! Look at this….look at these clothes. Nothing fits my FAT ASS! I Hate you Dean and if you even so much as come near me with those stupid hands or any other part of that body of yours…”

She paused as she lifted her gun off the floor and Dean’s eyes widened.

“I’ll shoot you!”

He took a few steps back and held his hands palms up.

“Whoa…whoa…Jo…baby come on. I adore that fat ass…”

That was obviously the wrong thing to say because her glare became even more lethal if possible and Dean backed up further. Sam frowned and shook his head at Dean who continued to talk.

“Listen…is this about the car? I didn’t mean to make such a big deal…it’s just…well it’s the Impala…”

His voice trailed off and Sam shook his head.

“Really Dean, that’s what you want to bring up now, when she’s already mad at you?”

He gave Sam a lost look and shrugged. Sam shook his head and moved in to try and defuse the situation. Jo was hormonal and though things have been good between her and Dean lately this could definitely destroy his peace if Dean said the wrong things.

Sam gave Jo a small smile when she looked at him and he waved.

“Jo...you’re not fat. You’re beautiful.”

Jo’s face softened as she looked at Sam and lowered her gun.

“Thanks Sam…that’s sweet, but not true.”

Sam laughed lightly as he took a hold of her arm gently and moved her to sit on the edge of the bed.

“Of course it is. Do you see the way Dean looks at you when you aren’t looking? Half the guys ogle you when we’re out on jobs. And this…”

Sam motioned to her stomach.

“Isn’t you being fat. You’re pregnant Jo…the sooner you and Dean actually acknowledge that as more than a fleeting thought…well I think you’ll feel better.”

Jo scrunched her nose and looked at Sam with a raised eyebrow. She chuckled lightly and shook her head.

“You’re such a girl Sam…”

His brows furrowed and he pretended to be irritated by the statement as Dean laughed.

“Isn’t that the pot calling the kettle black?”

She rolled her eyes.

“No, cause in case you haven’t noticed I am a girl.”

“Trust me I noticed.”

Jo smirked and Sam smiled. Dean glared at them and cleared his throat before speaking.

“Okay enough, not that I don’t like this touchy feely moment between my brother and my girl…but don’t we have a job?”

Sam nodded, got off the bed and started picking up some of Jo’s things off the floor. He got to a few pairs of panties and a bra and when he leaned down to pick them up Dean's voice made him freeze.

“Sammy you touch those panties and you and I are gonna have an issue. I’ll help Jo get everything together after we go over what we learned at the morgue. Okay captain OCD?”

Sam’s cheeks reddened and he put the clothes that were in his hands on the table before sitting on the other bed. Jo laughed again before speaking. Her voice was back to normal, tears long gone.

“So tell me about this lawyer guy? Is he the first heart-free corpse in town?”

Sam shook his head.

“Yes and no. He’s the first man. Over the past year, several women have gone missing. Dead bodies all washed up later in the bay, too deteriorated to draw firm conclusions.”

Jo raised an eyebrow.

“But no hearts?”

Dean leaned against the table with his arms crossed as Sam spoke.

“No hearts. They were all hookers working Hunter’s Point. Now, cops are trying to keep things under wrap, but they’re looking for a serial killer.”

Jo smiled and glanced at Dean with excitement in her eyes. He grinned back as she spoke.

“And the lunar cycle?”

Sam nodded.

“Mm-hmm. Yeah, month after month, all the murders happen in the week leading up to the full moon.”

Jo’s eyes widened with glee as she spoke and Dean had to keep from laughing out loud.

“Which is this week, right?”

Sam frowned at Jo and then looked at his brother who held a matching grin on his face. He shook his head and sighed before speaking in a tired voice.

“Hence the lawyer.”

Dean and Jo spoke at the same time.

“Awesome.”

Sam rolled his eyes.

“If I wasn’t sure before I’m certain now. You two were freaking made for each other. Could you guys be bigger geeks about this?”

Dean rolled his eyes and turned to Sam.

“I’m sorry, man, but what about a human by day, a freak animal killing machine by moonlight don’t you understand? I mean, werewolves are badass. We haven’t seen one since we were kids.”

Jo cut in as she kneeled on the bed and spoke in a voice filled with awe.

“And I’ve only heard about them in stories from my dad when I was a little girl…this is gonna be epic.”

Sam just glanced between them and wondered for about the hundredth time how he’d gotten stuck with these two. What did he ever do to deserve it? He sighed before speaking.

“Okay, Sparky. And you know what? After we kill it, we can all go to Disneyland.”

Dean glared briefly at Sam for trying to ruin their good mood. He picked up Jo’s gun and tossed it to her. She caught it and Dean went over and dug into his bag. He pulled out his gun, sat by the table, and started messing with it as he spoke.

“You know what the best part about it is? We already know how to bring these suckers down.”

Dean held up a silver bullet that he pulled out of the chamber before continuing his sentence.

“One of these bad boys right to the heart. So, what’s our next move?”

“Talk to the girl who found the body.”

Dean nodded and Jo got off the bed and started grabbing all her stuff.

“I’m coming with you guys this time. I’m bored.”

Dean opened his mouth, but Sam cut him off.

“Of course, we just didn’t want to make you sick with the smell of the body and stuff. Get dressed, we’ll wait here.”

Jo nodded and moved into the bathroom. Dean frowned at Sam.

“She wants to help Dean.”

He nodded.

“I know, I know…look…thanks for before. Emotionally irrational females make me nervous…and uncomfortable.”

Sam laughed and patted Dean on the back before walking to the motel room door and opening it.

“Most things about the opposite sex make you uncomfortable unless they deal with sex.”

Dean grumbled as Sam walked out of the room laughing. Sometimes Dean really hated his brother…

Chapter 3

No comments:

Post a Comment