Saturday, April 9, 2011

When Luck Runs Out (9/11)



Chapter 9

San Francisco, California
Hunter’s Point
(13 Weeks)




Dean locked and loaded his gun as he threw open the door to the Impala and got out. He walked around scoping out Hunter’s point trying to figure out where the werewolf might be coming from when he heard a loud scream. He took off at a run and headed in the direction of the voice.

Dean made his way around the corner and saw the werewolf dragging a blonde across the pavement. Dean raised his gun and yelled out.

“Hey!”

The werewolf looked up and Dean didn’t hesitate. He unloaded four bullets into the guy right as he saw his face. Dean’s mouth opened slightly and then he slammed it closed. The girl, who Dean was almost positive was a hooker, stood up, glanced at Dean with a frightened look on her face, and ran away.

Dean sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Hey, don’t mention it!”

He walked over to Glen, Madison’s neighbor and crouched down next to him. Glen coughed and sputtered blood. There was confusion on his face as his features went back to normal. He spoke to Dean in a slightly garbled voice.

“What happened? Where am I? Help me. Oh, God. Oh my God.”

Dean felt bad…but it is what it is. He didn’t have time to whine about killing some guy who didn’t know what was going on. This is it. If it worked it worked…if not then Madison was as good as dead. He cleared his throat and spoke quietly.

“All right, easy, Glen. Just take it easy.”

Dean watched as Glen took his last breath, eyes glazing over. He sighed and stood. He was about to call Sam when his cell phone rang. He fished it out and answered it in a gruff voice.

“Mr. Singer…this is the St. Mary’s Medical Center calling. We just wanted to inform you that you wife is awake.”

Relief filled Dean as he closed his eyes and thanked whatever higher power that was there. He cleared his throat and tried to keep the emotion out of his voice.

“Thanks, I’ll be right there.”

He’d call Sammy as soon as he saw Jo. Right now she was the most important thing. When they started things up after Philadelphia they promised each other that the job would always come first. The innocents over the one. So far they hadn’t been put into a situation where that theory needed to be tested.

And Dean was glad about that. After finally letting Jo in…he wasn’t sure he’d be able to make that choice. Hell knowing her she’d probably make it for him and take herself out of the equation. So, the job came first, but as far as Dean knew the job was done and he could focus on Jo now…on his family.

He got into the Impala, started it, and headed to the hospital. It didn’t take him long. He walked through the corridor to Jo’s room. He took a deep breath and pushed open her door. He just stood there taking her in. She was sitting up on the bed, eating pudding, and scrunching her nose at something on TV.

His heart pounded frantically as he made his way into the room. She must have caught sight of him out of the corner of her eye because she turned slightly and smiled.

“Hey, I was wondering when you’d get back.”

Dean slid slowly into the chair by Jo’s bed and just stared at her. She raised an eyebrow and saw some of the blood on his shirt. She motioned to it with her head.

“I’m guessing by the stains on your shirt you ganked dog-face.”

She frowned slightly.

“I still can’t believe it was Madison…that kinda through me. I mean believe it or not her neighbor Glen…he kinda gave me the creeps. I thought maybe it was him and he was attacking the people close to her cause he liked her or somethin’.”

When Dean just stared at her with a strange look on his face her frown deepened.

“What?”

He gave her a bewildered look and he leaned forward.

“What? Jesus Jo…you’re lying in a hospital bed…and you’re talking about the case?”

She shrugged.

“I’m alive aren’t I?”

Dean nodded.

“Yeah, but for a little while I thought…”

His voice faltered and he put his head down for a minute before looking back up, eyes slightly red rimmed.

“I thought I lost you…I looked away for one second Jo…I’m so sorry…”

Jo’s face softened and she reached out a hand and stroked his arm lightly.

“Dean, stop beating yourself up. I’m okay…the baby is okay…I just need to stay overnight for observation. We can leave in the morning.”

Dean frowned.

“There was a lot of blood Jo…”

She nodded and glanced at her hands.

“Yeah…the doctor said we were lucky. You go us here just in time. He had to…something about lining or something like that…said it might be wise to restrict my activity for the rest of the pregnancy.”

Her voice was soft and Dean watched her trying to be strong. He felt horrible. He swallowed hard and sighed before reaching out and cupping her cheek. She glanced at him and he gave her a tired smile.

“Still in it for the long haul?”

She laughed through her tears and nodded.

“You couldn’t get rid of me if you tried Winchester.”

He stood, leaned over her, kissed her forehead, and looked into her eyes.

“Good. Rest up. I gotta make a phone call and then I’ll come back and tell you what’s been going on since you been out.”

She smiled and nodded at him. Dean made his way out into the hallway and gathered himself before pressing number 4 on his speed dial. The phone rang twice before it was picked up.

“Harvelles’.”

“Ellen…”

“Dean, sweetie…that you?”

He ran a hand over his face at Ellen’s worried voice.

“Yeah it’s me.”

There was a pause before he heard some shuffling and then her low voice filtering across the line.

“What happened? Is everything okay?”

He cleared his throat and spoke calmly.
“I’m bringing Jo home.”

Ellen’s heartbeat picked up and her grip on the phone tightened. There was something in Dean’s voice that bothered her. She licked her lips her closed her eyes tight at her next question.

“Is Jo okay?”

Dean hesitated before speaking.

“She’s fine…but…”

Ellen could hear his pause and then her heart broke at the sound of his voice. She could hear the guilt and pain there. Dean carried a lot of baggage with him and he was his own worst critic. He carried the weight of the world on his shoulders and never gave himself any credit.

Ellen calmed herself down because it was in that moment when he started talking that she new Dean Winchester was in love with her daughter.

“God Ellen Jo got hurt the other night…she’s fine now I swear it…but it was close…and I…I can’t keep doing this. I need her to be safe. I thought taken’ her with me and Sammy would keep her safe…but it hasn’t. I’d rather have her at the Roadhouse with you then have her out here with me possibly getting killed.”

He took a breath and Ellen thought she heard tears in his voice as he broke down over the phone.

“I need to protect my family…and I can’t do that with them here. I’m not gonna lie…I was terrified…that I lost her…that I lost my chance at being a father…that I failed to keep someone I care about safe again…I…please…”

He paused and pulled himself together as a tear slid down Ellen’s cheek.

“When this job’s finished…can we crash at the Roadhouse for a few days? Jo’s gonna kill me knowin’ I made this decision without her, but I won’t risk her life anymore. And it’s not cause she’s a bad hunter cause you’d be so proud…”

Ellen swallowed hard and spoke softly.

“I know sweetheart…”

“I just…I need to make some arrangements…and…”

Ellen cut Dean off in the middle of his sentence.

“You call me on your way and I’ll have some beds made up and food ready when you get here.”

She heard Dean let out a tired sigh and she could hear the gratitude in his voice.

“Thanks Ellen…”

“Dean…I know you and Sam are always on the road…and usually you go to Bobby’s every so often to recharge…but you can always come here. The Roadhouse…well…you’ll always have a home here boy. Remember that.”

Dean smiled to himself and nodded even though Ellen couldn’t see it.

“Yes ma’am…I should get back to Jo…I’ll have her call you soon though.”

“Take care of my baby Dean.”

“Will do…”

He disconnected the call and sighed. Life for Dean Winchester was never easy…but he was hoping that maybe…just maybe after today things could be a little different. Maybe he could have the best of both worlds. Maybe he could hunt and have a family at home…

Dean ran a hand over his face and sighed before making his way back into Jo’s room. If only he knew what was brewing …and how it would change things forever.

Chapter 10

No comments:

Post a Comment