Monday, May 23, 2011

Always Comes Back (4/10)

Photobucket
Banner by: Sani

Chapter Three

Chapter 4


Joliet, Illinois
(18-Weeks)



It had taken them about six hours to get from Nebraska to Illinois. The ride had been a little tense before they finally settled back into their usual banter. Things weren’t a hundred percent fixed, that would take time, but they were getting there and that’s what mattered.

Dean was lounging on the bed, book in hand as Sam walked into the motel room phone against his ear, food in hand. Dean raised an eyebrow at his brother and Sam rolled his eyes.

“No Maddie, I can’t. Yeah…please don’t do that.”

Sam stopped in the middle of the room and winced slightly.

“Madison, you know I love you right? Why are you bothering me with this? As long as you don’t touch my stuff I don’t care.”

Sam didn’t notice Dean’s startled face at the use of the word love. He put the food on the table, tossed Dean a burger, which sailed through the air whacking him against the head. Sam frowned and gave him a ‘what’s wrong with you’ kinda look.

Dean glared at him before picking the burger up off the bed and unwrapping it waiting for his brother to finish up his phone conversation. A couple minutes later Sam hung up, slipping his phone into his pocket as he shook his head.

“Apparently they’ve decided to redecorate or something adding on to Jo’s room, which led to Ellen suggesting they gut out Madison’s room too.”

Dean scowled.

“Why?”

Sam gave Dean and incredulous look.

“Are you serious? To make room for the baby Dean. You do realize that in a few months there’s going to be an actual living breathing child that you have to take care of right?”

Dean snorted.

“Yeah Sam, I realize that, but why’s Ellen messing with the Roadhouse?”

“So there’s room for the baby, did you miss the conversation I just had with you?”

“I found a place Sammy.”

Sam sat at the foot of the bed a startled expression on his face.

“You found a place?”

He nodded.

“There’s a small place near Bobby a couple miles up the road. The owners are friends of his. They’re willing to deal and Bobbies agreed to help out until I can find a way to make some doe that doesn’t involve hustling pool.”

“You’re getting a house?”

Dean stopped eating his burger and looked up at the tone of his brother’s voice. The expression on his face pulled at his heart. He could see pain etched into Sam’s features as he tried to hide it and send a small smile Dean’s way.

“That’s great Dean…”

He sighed and nudged Sam slightly with his boot. His little brother glanced up at him and he pointed, stern look on his face.

“We got a place Sammy…we. For all of us. I can’t live with just Jo…she’ll drive me crazy…and then I’ll end up one of those kept men that lets his girl do whatever, whenever she wants. No I need some equal footing.”

Sam swallowed hard as he looked at Dean. He was offering a place they could all call home. A house…something they hadn’t had since they were kids. Maybe Dean getting together with Jo and all this and shit happening would finally lead to something good.

“You want Maddie and I to live with you and Jo?”

Dean shrugged and went back to eating his burger, the conversation officially going beyond his comfort level.

“The place ain’t huge, but I made sure there was enough room in case you wanted too. It’s also a little run down, but we can fix it up…I don’t want my kid to live out of motel rooms…or in the back of the bar. We’ll do it up right.”

Sam wasn’t sure what to say, but warmth filled him when he realized Dean wasn’t planning on leaving him behind. Lately he’d been worried that after everything, in an effort to protect Jo, he’d distance himself from them like he had when they took off to Bobby’s.

“Leave this life behind?”

Dean glanced up and frowned.

“No…Sammy being hunters…it’s who we are. We need to bag that yellow eyed son of a bitch and after that…there’s still a million and one things out there that need killin’ and people that need our help. I don’t know how shit’s gonna work yet, but we’ll figure it out.”

Sam nodded. Dean had always accepted this life. He was a soldier like their father, but Sam hoped that after they killed yellow eyes and Dean saw his daughter for the first time, that maybe he’d consider living the normal life Sam desperately craved.

Sam opened his mouth right as Dean’s phone went off. He lifted his body slightly and pulled it from his pocket.

“Yeah,”

“That’s how you answer your phone?”

“Yup, what’s up?”

“How attached are you to those cassette tapes in the box by the side of my bed?”

Sam watched Dean’s body tense as he glared at the phone in his hand. He spoke in a warning tone as his hand tightened around the phone. Jo was seriously going to be the death of him.

Jo…”

“What? I’m getting rid of shit, and they’ve been sitting there for weeks I…”

“Stop, just listen. If you touch my cassette tapes it grounds for a break-up…”

Jo chuckled and Dean’s glared intensified.

“I’m not kidding…we’ll have to shuffle our daughter five ways from Sunday so we can both see her cause I can’t be with a woman who doesn’t respect the classicness of my cassette tapes…”

He could almost see her rolling her eyes.

“It was a question Jesus. You’re such god damn drama queen. I won’t touch your stupid tapes.”

“Thank you, now lemme talk to Ellen.”

He held the phone away from his ear as she screamed for her mother. Sam smiled as Dean glanced in his direction.

“There’s no way you’d break up with Jo if she threw away your cassette tapes.”

Dean smirked.

“She doesn’t know that…”

“‘Ello.”

“Ellen hey, you adding onto the bar?”

She grunted.

“Expanding the back area.”

Dean sighed.

“Listen hold off until we get back. You don’t have to do that. I meant to tell Jo, but we never got around to it when we were at Bobby’s I found a place. I’m surprised he didn’t mention it to you. I’ll tell her when we get back so can you hold off on tearin the bar apart until then?”

“Will do. You boys be careful.”

“Thanks.”

“You want Jo back?”

“Nah, just tell her I’ll call her later.”

He disconnected the phone a minute later and shook his head before digging into his burger again and talking with his mouth full.

“I’ma hurf her Sammy irf shwe touches my twapes”

Sam nodded.

“I’m sure you will…you might want to chew…you know that thing you do with your teeth so you don’t choke?”

Dean grabbed his throat pretending to choke as he rolled his eyes and opened another book. It was gonna be a long night.

A few hours later Dean was driving around in the impala searching the ridiculous amount of abandoned real estate in the stupid town.

They agreed to split up Sam doing research and Dean just plain searching. It was annoying and as much as he loved his car he was tired and wanted to get back to the motel and start over again in the morning. His cell phone blared and he sighed before answering it.

“Yeah?”

“There’s a cop car outside.”

Shit. He’d forgotten about their fugitive status for a minute. If the cops were gonna be lurking around it would make their job a lot more difficult.

“You think it’s for us?”

“I don’t know.”

“I don’t see how. I mean, we ditched the plates, the credit cards.”

Sam let out a sigh of relief.

“They’re leaving. False alarm.”

Dean shook his head, yeah this time, but what about next time? They were gonna have to do something about the fugitive thing.

“See? Nothing to worry about.”

“Yeah, being fugitives is a friggin’ dance party.”

He chuckled at Sam’s irritation.

“Hey, man, chicks dig the danger vibe.”

Sam rolled his eyes as he leaned over the book he was currently searching through.

“So, you got anything yet?”

“Are you kidding me? How could I? You’ve got me sifting through, like, fifty square miles of real estate here.”

“Well, that’s where all the victims disappeared.”

“Yeah, well, I’ve got diddly-squat. What about you?”

“Just one thing. I’m pretty sure of it now: we’re hunting a Djinn.”

“A freakin’ genie?”

“Yup.”

Great, could the night get any worse?

“So, what, you think that these suckers can really grant wishes?”

“I don’t know. I guess they’re powerful enough. Not exactly like Barbara Eden in harem pants. I mean, Djinn have been feeding off people for centuries. They’re all over the Koran.”

Dean grinned as he sped up on the empty road.

“My God. Barbara Eden was hot, wasn’t she? Way hotter than that Bewitched chick.”

His mind drifted to a possible threesome between him Jo and Barbara Eden and his grin widened. Sam’s voice filled the silence in the car snapping Dean out of his thoughts.

“Are you even listening to me?”

“Uh yeah. So, where do the Djinns lair up?”

“Ruins, usually…the bigger, the better. More places to hide.”

He nodded to himself. He saw an abandoned warehouse not far back, he’d check that out. It was pretty huge.

“Yeah, I think I saw a place a couple miles back. I’m gonna go check it out.”

Sam frowned. That’s not what he meant. There’s no way Dean should check something like that out without him. There was worry in his voice when he spoke.

“Wait, no, no, no. Come pick me up first.”

“No, I’m sure it’s nothing. Just some old warehouse. I just wanna take a look around.”

Dean folded his phone shut and Sam before he could say anything. Sam glanced at his phone.

“Dean…damn it!”

Dean turned the car around in the middle of the road and headed back in the direction he came from. He turned off the road at the building and pulled up to the front of the eerie-looking warehouse. He parked, got out and pulled a flashlight and some other equipment out of the impala just in case.

The place was dark and silent as he shone the flashlight around the deserted hallway. He walked down it when the hair on the back of his neck stood up and he froze sensing something near him. He gripped the knife tucked into his pants and turned the corner ready to strike.

He frowned. Nothing was there, just another empty room. He really needed to learn how to relax, being on edge waiting for something to pop out at you all the time probably wasn’t a great way to spend his time. He turned around and suddenly the Djinn appeared in front of him, slamming him against the wall.

Dean grunted, the knife falling from his hand. Dean struggled with the tattoo covered genie as he reached out his hand, blue light flying from his fingertips, and touched Dean’s forehead. A shock went through his body as he felt himself slipping into unconsciousness.

Jo’s gonna kick my ass if I die here today, was the last conscious thought Dean had before everything went black.

Chapter Five

No comments:

Post a Comment